Saturday, November 13, 2004

Books - The Bourne Identity

In another attempt to break away from the fantasy genre, I picked up The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. I'd heard from several different sources that the book was much better than the Matt Damon movie, so I gave it a whirl. Can you believe it's the first Ludlum I've ever read? Can you say newb?

Plot synopsis: Our young hero wakes up in the care of an alcoholic British doctor with no memory of who (or what) he is. They discover microfilm implanted under the skin of his hip, and with the info it presents, he begins to track down his identity. This quest leads him further and further into a shadowy world of international intrigue, and the more he uncovers the more questions are raised. Can the young hero discover his identity and come to grips with the revelations it brings? Only Ludlum knows for sure.

So, how was it? Well, it never quite clicked with me. It's important to empathize with the protagonist of a novel, and I never quite managed to do that with Mr. Bourne. I found that I didn't really care if he ever found out who he was, or if he was killed before doing so.

Given my emotional detachment from the book, I tried to enjoy it in other ways. Ludlum's depictions of Zurich and Paris were well done - these cities truly felt like characters in the story. The heroine was from Canada, so I have to give a few points for that. Mr. Bourne's identity is skillfully revealed as you progress through the novel - it kept you guessing, never sure if he was "good" or "bad".

I expected some high-tech "spy gear" in the novel, but there wasn't much in that area. Perhaps because the book was written in the late '70s? The hero handles the situations that arise by thinking and adapting, not through some cool pieces of technology. That's one area where the book differs from the movie - don't expect any Bond-like gadgets.

So overall, a decent book, but I doubt I'll be buying the 2nd and 3rd books in the series. 3 out of 5.

No comments: