Sunday, October 03, 2004

Books - A Fortress of Grey Ice

I was happy to find A Fortress of Grey Ice by J.V. Jones in paperback last week. With the long hiatus since Cavern of Black Ice and the lack of activity on her web site, I was worried that something had happened to J.V. Luckily, that's not the case.

I'm about halfway through Fortress, and it's another quality piece of writing from Ms. Jones. Her characters are complex, interesting, and most importantly - not stupid! I've read too many books lately where main characters say and do things that just don't make sense. J.V.'s protags are much more intelligent, and as result, believable. Sure, they still make mistakes, but I don't find myself shaking my head in disgust when they do. My only gripe so far is how often she switches protags and settings. It's a tribute to J.V.'s writing that when a chapter ends and she focuses on a different character, I go through a moment of disappointment - I want to keep following that plot line I just read! Ah well - I guess that's a pretty good problem to have. Thumbs up so far.


No comments: